The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) is now a covered benefit for eligible members of MedStar Family Choice. The DPP is a lifestyle change program for improving overall health. The goal is to lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
During the program, a trained coach will teach you about healthy eating, discuss behavioral changes, and more during about 25 sessions throughout the year. You will learn, laugh, share stories, try new things, and build healthy habits!
Eligible MedStar Family Choice members can participate in one of three ways:
- Distance learning (via phone or video conference)
To be eligible for the Diabetes Prevention Program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You have Maryland HealthChoice (Maryland’s Medicaid Managed Care Program).
- You are between the ages of 18 and 64 at the start of the year-long program.
- You are overweight or obese with a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more (23 or more if you are of Asian descent).
- You either had gestational diabetes (diabetes while pregnant) or been diagnosed with pre-diabetes.
- You had a blood test in the last 12 months showing slightly elevated blood sugar. (Contact your primary care provider if you don’t have a recent blood test.)
If you are currently pregnant or already have diabetes, you are not eligible to participate in the Diabetes Prevention Program.
To learn more about the program and/or enroll, call MedStar Family Choice Member Services at 888-404-3549 between 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays or contact to your primary care provider.
Diabetes Prevention Program forms and resources:
Information current as of: