If you are currently receiving healthcare benefits or intend to apply for benefits from Maryland's Medical Assistance or Children's Health Insurance Programs, you must follow the recent changes in federal laws.

These changes require you to provide proof of your United States citizenship and your identity. It is very important that you provide these documents during redetermination or your health benefits could end. 

If you have specific questions, there is a hotline to help you. You may call 800-284-4510

In addition, if you are having problems locating the necessary documents, please contact your case worker. He/she may be able to work with you as you locate the documents so that your health benefits do not end.

Below is a list of some of the acceptable documents that you can show to your case worker to prove your identity and citizenship.

Proof of identity and citizenship

  • U.S. Passport (current or expired)

  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)

  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560-561)

Proof of identity

Photo ID:

  • Driver's license

  • MVA ID card

  • School ID card

  • Government ID card

  • U.S. military ID card or draft record

If under the age of 16:

  • School record

  • Day-care/nursery record

  • Written affidavit (see caseworker for details)

Proof of citizenship

  • U.S. birth certificate

  • Certificate of citizen born abroad (DS-1350, FS-240, FS-545)

  • ID Card for naturalized citizen living in Mexico or Canada (I-179 or I-197)

  • Final adoption decree for child born in U.S.

  • Evidence of U.S. civil service employment before 6/1/76

  • Military service record showing U.S. place of birth

  • Federal or state census record for 1900-1950 showing U.S. citizenship or U.S. place of birth and age

  • Record showing U.S. place of birth (such as hospital birth records, Vital Statistics notice of birth, life, health or other insurance record)

  • Affidavit signed by two people who are citizens (see your caseworker for details)

Information current as of: