The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) is now a covered benefit for eligible members of MedStar Family Choice. The DPP is a lifestyle change program for improving overall health. The goal is to lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. During the program, a trained coach will teach you about healthy eating, discuss behavioral changes, and more during about 25 sessions throughout the year. You will learn, laugh, share stories, try new things, and build healthy habits!
Eligible MedStar Family Choice members can participate in one of three ways:
- Distance learning (via phone or video conference)
To be eligible for the Diabetes Prevention Program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You have Maryland HealthChoice (Maryland’s Medicaid Managed Care Program);
- You are ages 18 to 64 at the start of the year long program;
- You are overweight or obese with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or more (23 or more if you are of Asian descent);
- You either had gestational diabetes (diabetes while pregnant) or been diagnosed with pre-diabetes; and
- You had a blood test in the last 12 months showing slightly elevated blood sugar.
(Contact your primary care provider if you don’t have a recent blood test.)
If you are currently pregnant or already have diabetes, you are not eligible to participate in the Diabetes Prevention Program.
If you are interested in participating, please call our Outreach Department at 800-905-1722, option 2 and ask for the Diabetes Coordinator for assistance.