More Claims Information
MedStar Family Choice follows the Maryland Clean Claims Legislation adopted under COMAR 31.10.11 in order to determine whether a claim is clean.
Standard Required Attachments
The following describes circumstances under which the identified attachment is required for submission with the claim.
- An explanation of benefits statement from a primary payer to MedStar Family Choice's Claims Processing Center, if MedStar Family Choice is secondary.
- A Medicare remittance notice, if Medicare is primary and MedStar Family Choice is secondary.
- A description of the procedure or service, which may include the medical record, if a procedure or service has no corresponding Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) or HCPCS code.
- Information related to an audit, if a pattern of fraud, improper billing, or coding is demonstrated.
- Provide an invoice for medication or other items per contract or when requested.
- Admitting and physician notes for emergency services that may not meet the standards for an emergency service.
- A itemization of charges may be required for inpatient hospital claims to correctly pay a bed day when other similar bed days are denied in that same inpatient admission.
Please share this information with your staff and/or billing agent as appropriate.