Important Notice: As of October 1, 2017, the MedStar Family Choice contract to provide Medicaid services to residents in the District of Columbia has ended. Learn more >
On September 3, 2014, the DC VFC (Vaccines For Children) Program will begin to ship influenza vaccines. Providers who participate in the DC VFC program must use the 2014-15 Pediatric Influenza Vaccine Order Form. This is a different form than the VFC Order Form used for routine vaccines. If a different form other than the Pediatric Influenza Form is used to order the influenza vaccine, the form will be rejected and the vaccine will not be delivered.
A few items to remember when ordering the influenza vaccine include:
- There is a selection of influenza vaccines available
- Do not wait for your inventory to run low because the vaccine can take up to 7 days to be delivered and is on a different delivery schedule than regular VFC vaccines
- Check to make sure the contents of the shipment match what is listed on the packing list and report any discrepancies to the VFC program
- Adhere to temperature monitoring guidelines enclosed in the shipment
- Can only be used for VFC eligible patients
- Return unused flu vaccines to the VFC Program
Please be sure to provide the 2014-15 Influenza Information Statements (VISs) to the VFC eligible patient. There are separate statements for inactivated and the live, attenuated intranasal vaccines and both are dated August 19, 2014. For more information on Influenza recommendations and VISs go to http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6332a3.htm or contact the VFC/Immunization Program at (202) 576-9319.
Please see the attachments on this page for the original notification from the DC VFC Program along with a copy of the 2014-15 Pediatric Influenza Vaccine Order Form and the 2014-15 Influenza Information Statements (VISs). Providers can also contact our Provider Relations Department at 855-210-6203, option 5, to request a hard copy of all materials.